Few technologies change the terms of living. In the 20th life century probably 2 major advancements were made, which changed everyone’s way of living, they were Electricity and Internet. In the 21st century, we have Artificial Intelligence. AI is projected to bring massive amount of developments, it will change the way how people perceive technology.
To understand what AI is, we define it in simple terms: Artificial Intelligence (AI) allows machine s to interpret and interact with the world in such a way as we humans perceive and do. (Machines will sooner or later have human intelligence and it will make logical reasoning just as we humans do). To be more precise and crisp, giving computers human-like abilities related to seeing, reasoning, hearing and listening.
Its artificial intelligence everywhere, just everywhere. Yes, you read that correctly. Traditionally from being an applications specific to robots, machine-human level interaction and others, Artificial Intelligence has conquer these areas and emerged to be applied in all sectors and domains. Ranging from finance to education, from agriculture to governance; Artificial Intelligence is applied everywhere, in each sector of the country/globe and emerged has one of the most establishing and trending domain in the field of Information Technology/Computer Science.
Though more generalized AI systems are not yet developed, but specific systems have been built and created, which are automated in order to plan, process, implement and generate some fruitful output to the user or the consumer using the system. Based on the market study and surveys, it was predicted that last year was a great year for AI. There were number of advancements made, some of them were:
- AlphaGo (A game developed by the DeepMind team of Google).
- Tesla’s Autopilot feature in Vehicles.
- Microsoft AI (Understanding of speech better than humans).
- Improvement in Medical (Many improvements were recorded in diagnosing cancer in 2016).
- Integration of AI and Cloud Computing Platforms.
There were also many other advancements made in the year 2016 and it was a great year for everyone, who expected development in this field. Keeping track of such advancements, there were number of AI Based StartUps, which came up with some great ideas and minds.
The question here is how is it bridging the gap between humans and machines?
The question seems to be thoughtful for naïve users and novices, but don’t worry the answer to it is quite simple. When machines will have the proficiencies as we humans possess, i.e. to think, to reason, to listen, to speak and to perceive, machines will be humans best friend.
The following human-like capabilities can be achieved by a number of technologies like: machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, neural networks, computer vision and many more. Once these are fed into the machines to generate something, it will definitely change the way humans think and perceive how technology works, how machines work.
Just imagine for a moment, that you need to check whether report, but without clicking any buttons and finding anything, your phone speaks to you and tells you that “It’s going to Rain, you better take an Umbrella.” Or “The climate is pleasant and sunny, you can wear some light and comfortable clothes.”
For an instance, think that you are on a holiday with your family. You own a huge industry and you don’t want it to be close for the period you are on the holiday. So what would you do, by which you go on the holiday and the industry also works and generates output? You don’t want labour to take the charge right, Na. So intelligent machines come into picture. You program them in such a manner, that for a week, the machine should generate so and so output with so and so parameters fixed. This has number of advantages (will see it below).
Another example, you are driving a car and suddenly you get a phone call. You have to reach to a meeting urgently and you can’t stop driving, and you can’t ignore the call as well. So in such cases Autonomous Vehicles come into picture (Tesla Autopilot as mentioned above, Google Car and others are few example of autonomous vehicles). You just push a button, the vehicle will be driven automatically at some minimal speed and it will also take care of the directions, turns and other things.
Considering such examples above, it is quite clear that yes, the 21st century is all about the developments and advancements in the field of Artificial Intelligence. First let us see what are the advantages and the disadvantages of AI bridging the gap between machine-human interactions.
- Machines never get tired. 100% output generated.
- Less Reliable at times (not in all cases) as knowledge extraction requires in depth expertise of the field and proper resources.
- The accuracy by which the output is produced is much higher than that by humans.
- Infinite number of resources can be integrated in to one single system as a whole. (This makes the system more reliable and efficient).
- Faster than humans in processing (if reasoning is fed to machines).
- No emotional attachment with machines. (There won’t be a case that a machine will feel bad, if you say something to it).
- No time boundedness. The machine works with same efficiency and accuracy throughout 24X7 and 365 days.
- Initial setup cost.
- Few systems based purely on human reasoning and cognition.
- If machines took over humans, it would be destructive.
- Serving the cognition of a human (The human Brain) to the machine for reasoning and logical purposes is difficult.
- People are less versed with this field and hence not in to practice on a large scale.
Following with what AI can do to machine-human interaction, examples associated with it, their advantages and disadvantages, let me make you aware of the trends of AI in 2017 in brief. They are:
- China’s AI Boom.
- Natural Language Learning (Ability to understand human speech and language).
- Deep Learning and Deep Neural Networks (Related to human cognition & machine learning).
- AI in professional services (Go digital by implementing AI based systems).
- AI in marketing (Market your brand with AI).
- The collaboration of AI with Cloud and AI with VR/AR (Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality).
Only this much for now. Subscribe now to gain more insights and updates trending in the Technology domain.
Do share and comment your views about the same. Enjoy Reading
Article written and submitted by: Akshay Rakesh Toshniwal