Hello, everyone! In my last article, I had mentioned about the latest Instagram update for its users. The social media giant owned by Facebook is all set to roll out the updated version of Instagram. It consists of a focus feature in the stories to click portraits and have blur effect in the image. Have a look at the article here. Today, in this article, I will list down the steps to setup Python for windows.
Python is the most upcoming programming language in the field of information technology and it is mainly used for data analysis and artificial intelligence purposes. Though different ways the language can be used depending on your conditions. Be it a website, a stand-alone desktop/laptop application (software), web APIs, data analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence and a lot more can be coded and developed with the use of Python language.
Python is a high-level programming language which is used to build applications, software, websites and more. The first release of the language was made in the year 1991 and thereafter the use of the language went on increasing. Currently, the language is very much in demand and is used majorly by data scientists in order to perform high-end data analysis and other heavy computational problems. Python is used majorly as it has various advantages. The syntax is quite simple, the structure is organized, processing is fast (as compared to Java) and it consists of a wide range of libraries support.
You may also like:
1. Understanding Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Human Lives
With different packages and librarie4s supported by the language, Python makes the task much simpler in order to get the end results and the outcome. As there is a growing demand in learning this language and making it put to use, it is important for everyone (especially aspiring engineers, developers, entrepreneurs, students, coders and others) to know how one can start using python in their systems.
A step by step guide to setup python in windows is stated here. All the steps are mentioned, along with actual screenshots attached while installing. The screenshots will provide a much better understanding of downloading, installing and setting up python for the Windows operating system (OS). Kindly note, the instructions are only based on Windows users (as installation guide explained here is for windows OS).
Following steps will lead to smooth installation and setting up of the language (software), Python:
- Step-1: Visit: https://python.org and go to the downloads tab. A drop-down will open and you will be asked to select the version to be installed.
Available versions are Python 3.6.5 and Python 2.7.14.
Out of the two versions, the 3.6.5 version is unstable and is in the beta phase (development phase), thus it is highly recommended to download and install the 2.7.14 versions.
Also, add to that 2.7.14 supports a number of libraries and packages.
- Step-2: Once the download has completed, go to the folder where the installation (setup) file has been saved. Click that and start the installation process on your windows system.
- Step-3: Begin Installation of Python 2.7.14:Window1: Once started, you will see a sequence of windows in order to accomplish the complete process to install python on your system. Each screen has its own importance. The first screen (window1), will ask you whether the software needs to be installed for all users or only for you. My recommendation is to keep it default and install for all users.
Window2: The next screen will ask to select the directory where you want Python to be installed. The default is in ‘C’ drive. You can change it if you want and put it in some other drive.
Window3: The next screen will ask you to customize the installation of Python. My take on this would be to keep the default selection as they are and do not change much here. Keep the defaults and click the next to move ahead.
Window4: Finally after selection of the user, the directory and the customization of Python, the installation begins in this stage and you will get the screen, where you can see the progress of the software installation.
Window5: Post completion of the installation and copying of files in the required directory, the last screen pops up where a successful message is shown stating that python has now been installed to the system (only if there are no errors in between).
- Step-4: Once the installation has been completed, Python has been installed on your system and you can now start and run python on your system. To do this, there are namely two ways (if you do not have an Integrated Development Environment (IDE)), which are:
- Python (command line) which is the Python Shell
- IDLE (Python GUI) which is a user interface to write python codes and files
Below image picture depicts two different screens. The screen on your left is the Python (command line) i.e. that Python shell and to the right is the IDLE (Python GUI) where you can create files and write your code there.
- Step-5: Setting up the environment variables in the system to make Python run smoothlyWindow1: Python has been installed and that’s great, but hang on. Now you need to setup the environment which is extremely important, in order to make python run smoothly and without any problems. This is also important when you install packages and libraries using the command prompt (will be writing an article soon on how packages can be installed for python easily, stay tuned!). To set up the environment, right click on This PC (My Computer) and go to its properties. Once the window is opened, select ‘Advanced system settings’.
Window2: Once the advanced system settings window is opened, in the ‘advanced’ section (which will open by default), click on ‘Environment Variables’.
Window3: Once the window is opened, under the section of ‘User variables..’, click on New and a window will open.
In this window, create a variable name (name as per your choice) and the value needs to be the directory path of where Python has been installed. Along with the root directory of Python, another directory having a folder Scripts will be loaded here. Multiple directories can be saved as the variable value by a ‘;’ delimiter (separator).
The above 5 major steps are used in order to setup python on a new system which is windows based. Kindly note, the downloading, installation and other processing of the installation depends on the internet speed and also on your system computational capacity. The speed may vary, but do not worry, the steps remain the same.
Any data analysis, artificial intelligence, machine learning or any python enthusiast can take a note down of these steps and start developing and building using the python language.
If you face any issue while doing this installation, you can let me know in the comments section below and I would be happy to solve them all and make sure that python runs well on your system as well.
If you find this article, valuable, do like, share and comment your views on the same and help others in the technology community to gain more information on this and avail this free guide to install and setup python from scratch in a windows environment.
Happy Reading and Coding! 🙂
Author: Akshay Rakesh Toshniwal